For this month international food challenge host by shazia wahid of cutchi kitchen. She challenged with 4 great recipes. I choose hokkaido milk bread. One of the softest bread i have ever made. Thanks shazia for your wonderful choice.
Hokkaido is japan's second largest island. Hokkaido milk bread is a very soft bread using a tangzhong. Tangzhong is a creamy mixture of milk and flour. Recipe adapted from : edible garden
Ingredients for tangzhong :
. Flour / maida - 2 tbsp + 2
. Milk - 1/4 cup
. Water - 1/4 cup
For dough :
. Flour / maida - 2 1/2 cup
. Sugar - 3 tbsp
. Salt - 1 tsp
. Yeast - 2 tsp
. Milk powder - 2 tbsp
. Milk - 1/2 cup
. Cream / milk - 2 tbsp
. Butter - 25 g
Method For tangzhong :
1. Whisk flour, water and milk in a saucepan until smooth and lump free. Place over low heat stirring continuously and let it cook till it start thickening. Keep stirring.
2. The mixture needs to be heated up to 65 degree or when it leaves circles while whisking. Remove and cool completely.
1. Mix tangzhong with milk, cream ( or milk ) until smooth with your hands.
2. Place flour, sugar, yeast, milk powder and salt in a bowl. Add tangzhong and begin to knead slowly. Do not add more flour.
3. Add butter and continue to knead for 10 - 15 minutes or till the dough is elastic and stretchy.
4. Shape the dough into a ball and placed in a well oiled bowl. Cover with a cling film and leave in a warm place to rise till double in size. ( 45 to 1.30 hour )
5. Knead the dough again without extra flour.
7. Roll each ball into an oval shape.
8. Fold from each end and then turn and roll it up.
10. Cover with cling film. Let it rise till its double in volume. ( 45 to 1.30 hour )
11. Brush with some milk and bake at 170 degree for 30 - 35 minutes.
12. Cool completely before slicing.