April is the month of easter. So Aparna chose flaounes or cypriot easter cheese pie for april month,'
we knead to bake' group.. Thanks a lot aparna for your wonderful choice. Everyone loved it.
Flaounes is also known as cypriot easter cheese pies. It is a special easter bread on the island of cypriot. They are traditionally prepared on good friday, and are part of fast breaking meal after lent when meat and cheese are not eaten. Usually 'flaounes cheese' are used to made flaounes. But its very difficult to find in kerala. Flaounes cheese can be substitute with cheddar, mozzarella and cottage cheese.
There are a couple of ingredients used in flaounes. They are Mahleb and Mastic. Mahleb is made by powdering the dried pits of a wild mediterranean cherry. Mastic is the dried resin of a kind of shrub. Both these spice are quite common in greek and middle east cuisine. But here in kerala its very difficult to find these spices. So just leave them and there is no real substitute for this flavours.
FLAOUNES ( CYPRIOT EASTER CHEESE PIES )
Recipe adapted from Travelers lunch box
Yield : 8
- Flour / Maida - 2 1/2 cup
- Instant yeast - 3/4 tsp
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Sugar - 1 1/2 tsp
- Egg - 1
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Butter - 60 g melted and cooled
- Luke warm water - 1/4 cup
- Grated cheddar - 1 cup
- Grated mozzarella - 1/4 cup
- Crumbled paneer - 1/3 cup
- Flour - 2 tsp
- Semolina - 1/4 cup
- Mint leaf - 1/2 tbsp
- Red chilly flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Raisins - 1/8 cup (opt)
- Baking powder - 3/4 tsp
- Milk - 1 to 2 tbsp
- Egg - 1
- Sesame seeds - 1/3 to 1/2 cup
- Mix flour, yeast, salt and sugar.
have a soft smooth and elastic dough.
3. Place dough in a well oiled bowl turning to coat it well.
4. Cover loosely and let the dough rise until double in volume, 1 to 2 hrs.
5. Once it has risen deflate the dough by pressing it out and folding it a few times. Cover loosely and
refrigerate for 2 hrs.
6. Mix all the filling ingredients except egg and milk with a fork. Add milk and egg only when you are
ready to fill.
7. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Oil your work surface and roll one piece into a circle. Not too thick or
8. Spread sesame on a plate and place the round dough on it, in the centre and press down slightly.
9. Place circle on working surface and put 1 tbsp full filling in the centre.
10. First fold the two opposite edges over the filling leaving the centre exposed. Then fold the other 2
edges as well. You got a square shape. Press down sealed points with a fork.
11. Use egg to seal the flaps of dough well. Press down the sealed points with a fork.
12. Place flaounes on a baking paper leaving space between them and let it rise for 40 minutes. Just
before baking them brush the sides with egg.
13. Bake at 190 degree for 25 - 30 minutes or till top is golden and cheese melts.